Producer Online News
Prescription Drug Plan UpdateJune 7, 2010
In late 2009, our parent company completed a deal to sell its NextRx pharmacy benefit management subsidiaries to Express Scripts, and subsequently entered into a contract with Express Scripts to provide certain operational and administrative support for Anthem prescription drug plans. As a result, customers will gain the advantage of best-in-class programs from both organizations and integration of their medical and pharmacy benefits from leaders in their respective fields.
Upcoming system migrations and enhancements
Anthem continues to control pharmacy policy, clients' prescriptions drug programs and benefit designs. However, Express Scripts will begin processing prescription drug claims and managing pharmacy operations once accounts have migrated to their pharmacy operating platform. Clients will begin migrating on July 1, and the migrations will occur throughout 2010. The migration schedule is based on health plan system. Extensive pre-testing is taking place to help ensure that NextRx and Express Scripts are ready for a smooth transition of accounts.
Upon migrating, members will keep their existing ID cards and numbers, Customer Service phone numbers, drug list/formulary and benefit designs. However, mail pharmacy customers and website users will experience some changes beginning July 1.
Current NextRx mail service pharmacy customers will transition to Home Delivery from the Express Scripts Pharmacy.
What isn't changing:
- Express Scripts Pharmacy order processing times are the same as what members experienced with NextRx. For refills, standard order processing time is three to five days, and standard order processing time for new prescriptions is 10 to 14 days.
- On July 1, if a member has refills remaining on current prescription(s) at NextRx, the information will be sent to the Express Scripts Pharmacy. The member will be able to place the refill orders online or by phone, in the same manner as today.
- Members taking specialty medications will not experience changes upon migration. Specialty medications will continue to be dispensed primarily through PrecisionRx Specialty Solutions.
What is changing:
- Members can continue filling orders through NextRx until June 30. After that date, they should send new prescription orders to the Express Scripts Pharmacy.
- To place an order by mail, members should complete the new patient information order form and send it, along with the prescription(s), to the new St. Louis, Missouri, address.
- If members have refills remaining at NextRx on an active prescription less than one year old, the information will be transferred automatically to Express Scripts. Members will be able to place the refill orders online, by mail or by phone, in the same manner as they do today.
- Existing mail pharmacy customers may notice changes to the automated phone system, as well as the color and layout of paperwork in order packages from the Express Scripts Pharmacy.
Members who currently use Anthem.com/ca to access pharmacy information will continue logging into the same site. However, beginning July 1, when members view pharmacy information through Anthem.com/ca, they will be redirected to the Express Scripts website and asked to provide registration information. This information will be used to manage members' pharmacy benefits and preferences for communication and privacy.
Other web changes include:
- Customers of Home Delivery from the Express Scripts Pharmacy will now have a convenient Bill Me Later payment option.
- Members will also have automatic-refill options with the Express Scripts Pharmacy.
- Regular refill reminders for adult dependents will no longer be available.
Current mail pharmacy customers and web users will be sent letters that detail the changes listed above beginning June 14. These mailings will also include an Express Scripts Pharmacy new patient information order form and a Frequently Asked Questions document.
If you have questions, please contact your Sales representative.
Express Scripts, Inc. is a separate company that provides pharmacy services and pharmacy benefit management services on behalf of health plan members. WellPoint NextRx, NextRx and PrecisionRx are registered trademarks of WellPoint, Inc. and are used under license by Express Scripts, Inc.